According to the German Residence Act and German Employment Regulation, persons who have practical work experience within IT and communication technology can apply for a special residence permit. Regardless of the degree you hold, you may be eligible for a residence permit upon obtaining qualified employment as long as you have significant work experience.
German Work VISA for IT Specialists Requirements
You can apply for a residence permit if you have significant work experience within the IT sector and qualify for the following:
- You have a valid job offer or employment contract.
- You are able to provide proof of at least three (3) years of experience within the IT sector during the last seven (7) years.
- Ensure that your work experience is relevant and enables you to perform the job in Germany.
- You can provide proof of your theoretical knowledge, through courses or exams.
- Your German annual salary is at least 50,760 EUR (2022).
- Your German language knowledge is at least B1 level according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR). If the language at your employer is not German, this requirement may be waived.
Duration For a German Residence Permit for IT Specialist
Upon receiving your residence permit when settling in Germany, your permit is valid for four (4) years. You can further extend your residence permit for the duration of your employment contract.
Who Needs to Apply for a VISA prior to the Residence Permit
Nationals of Australia, Israel, Japan, Canada, the Republic of Korea, New Zealand or the United States of America can enter Germany without a visa before applying for the residence permit. All other third-country nationals need to apply for a VISA prior to entering Germany.
Your request for employment must first be approved by The German Federal Employment Agency (BA). This process verifies that your working conditions, such as salary and working hours, are equivalent to domestic employees. Further details about the entry process to Germany can be found in the entry VISA process guidelines.
Where You Can Apply For your Work VISA And Residence Permit
IT specialists with significant work experience, and who fulfill the above requirements, can apply for a work VISA at the German Embassy in your country. Make sure you prepare the necessary documents prior to your appointment. These documents include your passport, visa application form and proof of your relevant work experience. The VISA application is only necessary for third-country nationals.
Upon arrival to Germany, third-country nationals and any other nationals except EU citizens can apply for their residence permit at foreigners' authority with the purpose of taking up employment within the IT sector.