Berlin is home to many renowned and highly reputable international schools. Every year hundreds of students move to Berlin and sign up for a course at international schools, which are known to offer some of the most recognized and respected qualifications worldwide.
This article will shed light to the benefits associated with Berlin’s international schools, things to look out for when applying for yourself or your children, and a list of some of the best international schools in Berlin. Choosing to learn in the environment of an international school leads to unique opportunities for the natural and rapid development of German language skills, tied in with an exciting social life shared with fellow students from across the world.
The schools themselves are well aware and adapted to cater to the diversity of languages and cultures for their students, by setting unique learning environments and opportunities. Most international schools also offer a number of different languages to learn in.Language learning in international schools, is not just restricted to the classroom and in Berlin, international schools are commonly enrolled, by students from Germany seeking to acquire fluency in the English language. This provides a linguistic cross-learning opportunity and this makes these schools the perfect place for students from abroad to immerse themselves in the capital, its culture, and social life Berlin while making many German friends. Not only this, but the pupils of many international schools will include students from across continents, adding to the schools’ linguistic and cultural mix.
The Advantages of International Schools in Berlin
- Diverse classrooms – At international schools, you will find students from across the world making it easy to befriend and bond with fellow students
- Maintaining the momentum of learning back home – these schools provide curriculums in the student’s first language that maintain the continuity of the educational journey, particularly helpful for students from families that travel frequently.
- Focused classes – the nature of international schools means greater control over student intake, helping keep the teacher to student ratio at a more beneficial level, allowing teachers to devote more time to each student, providing more support where needed.
- International recognition – the quality of teaching and facilities at international schools are internationally recognized.
- Extracurricular engagement - international schools keep their students engaged with a wealth of social, artistic, and sporty activities outside of the classroom.
Choosing an International School in Berlin
Picking the right international school is an important decision, motivated not just by simple considerations such as costs and location, but also factors such as:
- School life and culture – do the school’s basic values and aims agree with those you hold close.
- Awards and reputation – such as where the school comes in rankings, its feedback from inspections, and its links and interactions with the world’s best universities.
- Classrooms and facilities – libraries, sports gyms, classrooms, cafeterias - does the school look like an interesting learning environment? The best way to determine this is to visit the school itself.
- Social atmosphere – does the school promote extracurricular activities or student societies?
- Staff turnover – Having a high turnover of teachers usually points out a red flag.
List of International Schools in Berlin
Phorms Berlin Mitte (PBM)
The private and bilingual Phorms Berlin Mitte is a school that teaches students in either English or German. One of PBM’s goals is to promote an understanding in its young students of the full linguistic and cultural diversity of the world, from local to a global perspective. While focusing on an international community of respectful and organized students who learn in a whole-day environment, PBM hones the individuality, interests, and talents in all students.
John F. Kennedy School, Berlin
Representing a historically important partnership between the United States of America and Germany, The John F. Kennedy School is one of the most important international schools in Berlin. With a forward-looking bilingual program and large support for students’ pursuits of the arts and sports, The John F. Kennedy School lives up to its educational promise, to develop a student’s personality as well as their test scores. The school maintains its high reputation by offering quality educational courses combined with the latest technology and resources.
Berlin Brandenburg International School
Providing boarding facilities for all its students from 9th grade to 12th, the Berlin Brandenburg International School is a holistic option for international education. It is one of the only schools in the world, to provide all of the programs created by the International Baccalaureate Organisation. The aim at BBIS is to encourage individual education catered to each of its students, BBIS also promotes the teaching of 21st-century skills in its students whether that be critical thinking or intercultural awareness.